- 1 Share your feedback in this global Wikimedia survey
- 2 Learning Quarterly: June 2018
- 3 Projekty Wikimedia
- 4 Learning Quarterly: November 2018
- 5 Przebudowa - postęp?
- 6 2018 Affiliations Committee call for candidates
- 7 New Affiliations Committee appointments
- 8 Help us make Wikipedia talk pages more accessible to more participants
- 9 Call for complementary facilitators and more to get the ASBS 2019 process started!
- 10 Update on the Affiliate-selected Board seats 2019 process
- 11 Update about the Affiliate-selected Board seats process 2019
- 12 Correct links for the ASBS process
- 13 SG
- 14 Affiliate-selected Board seats 2019 process: your representative
- 15 Maikking
- 16 Introducing Wikimedia Space: A platform for movement news and organizations
Dear Wikimedia Affiliates,
My name is María Cruz and I work for the Wikimedia Foundation on the Learning and Evaluation team. In one week or so, the Foundation is starting a global survey to learn about the experiences and feedback of Wikimedians. I am writing here, because I wanted to share with you a bit more about the project.
The survey is called "Wikimedia Communities and Contributors" and is conducted annually. We will send the survey to editors across all the Wikimedia projects, as well as Wikimedia affiliates and volunteer developers. This survey is going to be our way of making sure that we can hear feedback from a significant number of users from across the projects. This research supports editors and Wikipedia’s mission. This is our second annual CE Insights survey, and we look forward to improving it every year.
We will be contacting 2 people from each affiliate, based on the primary contact information that we have. Each affiliate will receive an additional third link which they can distribute to any leader in their chapter or user group.
Go to the project page to see the results of last year’s survey, and to see how your feedback helps the Wikimedia Foundation support communities. You can sign up to be notified about the results of the survey, or to learn how you can help with planning the survey next year.
If you have any questions or concerns about this project, please feel free to send them to Edward Galvez's talk page on Meta-Wiki or email him directly at surveyswikimedia.org in any language. You can learn more about this project and read about frequently asked questions. You can also share your feedback on Meta-Wiki.
Thank you for your time supporting this project!
Learning Quarterly: June 2018[edytuj]
L&E Newsletter / Volume 5 / Issue 16 / June 2018
Leave your mark on Meta!
Inspire New Readers campaign, and AffCom elections
- Dokładnie to ta edycja. Niektórzy nimi gardzą. --Wargo (dyskusja) 14:29, 24 wrz 2018 (CEST)
- @Wargo "Niektórzy nimi gardzą" - skąd ten wniosek że ktokolwiek tu czymkolwiek gardzi? Skąd to słowo? @Nostrix Dlaczego brzydko, co konkretnie jest brzydkiego i dlaczego takie słowo? PMG (dyskusja) 16:13, 24 wrz 2018 (CEST)
Ja ostatnio z ramienia zarządu porządkuje wiki i z Tarem się konsultujemy regularnie. W tej edycji nie ma żadnego drugiego dna, opis zmian wydaje mi się dosyć adekwatny. Stowarzyszenie zgodnie ze statutem wspiera wszystkie polskojęzyczne (i nie tylko) projekty Wikimedia, nic się w tej kwestii nie zmieniło. Po prostu moim zdaniem nie ma sensu eksponować projektów które są w stanie (co najmniej) stagnacji. Jeśli uważacie że ta decyzja jest krzywdząca dla jakiegoś projektu to można listę powiększyć albo dodać link do pełnej listy projektów (co osobiście wydaje mi się najlepszym pomysłem). Yarl (dyskusja) 20:01, 24 wrz 2018 (CEST)
- Też myślałem o pełnej liście języków na SG, ale doszedłem do wniosku, że 1. nie będzie się komponowała, będzie zaburzała kolumny, 2. im mniej linków na SG, tym lepiej - już teraz można dostać oczopląsu, widząc sidebar, menu u góry, linki na SG i menu pod stroną. Wszystkie linki w akapicie wprowadzającym prowadzą do FAQ, a tam, w sekcji o projektach Wikimedia, jest link do wszystkich projektów. Tzn. jakoś do sprzed chwili go nie było (zapomniałem dodać? myślałem że był). Tar Lócesilion (queta) 20:29, 24 wrz 2018 (CEST)
- Tak myślałem, że usunięcie tych projektów było podyktowane głównie kwestiami estetycznymi (nie pasowały do layoutu). Jednak nie nos dla tabakiery, ale tabakiera dla nosa. Bo kto tu jest dla kogo? Czy to społeczności np. Wikicytatów, Wikipodróży czy Wikibooks mają zabiegać o link na stronie głównej stowarzyszenia, które się rzekomo zajmuje, zgodnie ze statutem, promocją i wsparciem również tych projektów? (a nie tylko Commons czy Wikipedii, przypominam). Tak owszem, to są małe społeczności, szczególnie w porównaniu ze starszą siostrą, ale nie są martwe. Nie pojmuję też dlaczego wśród projektów międzynarodowych są promowane Wikidane, a Wikispecies już nie. Nostrix (dyskusja) 21:03, 24 wrz 2018 (CEST)
- Wikicytaty mówią: ale żal. Zero (dyskusja) 22:54, 24 wrz 2018 (CEST)
- @Zero, jak już coś mówicie, to może powiedzcie, jak was wspomóc, a nie tylko jak pokazywać logotyp, z czego dosłownie nic nie wynika. Komisja Wikigrantów może by coś przyznała, ale najpierw musi być wniosek. Podobnie z konferencjami itd. itd. Tar Lócesilion (queta) 23:37, 24 wrz 2018 (CEST)
- @Tar Lócesilion Cieszę się z deklaracji. Najważniejsze, że Wikicytaty są w rodzinie. Usunięcie logotypu mogło sugerować odsuwanie nas na boczny tor. Nawet jeśli projekt zwolnił, to nie przekreśla tego, co stworzyliśmy do tej pory. Wikicytaty co do zasady są stworzone do utrwalonych w kulturze cytatów. Operujemy na historii. Może nie tak bardzo jak Wikiźródła, ale jesteśmy na drugim biegunie niż np. Wikinews. Zero (dyskusja) 00:11, 26 wrz 2018 (CEST)
Learning Quarterly: November 2018[edytuj]
L&E Newsletter / Volume 5 / Issue 17 / November 2018
Leave your mark on Meta!
AffCom corner and Wikimania Poster session
Przebudowa - postęp?[edytuj]
The Affiliations Committee – the committee responsible for guiding volunteers in establishing Wikimedia chapters, thematic organizations, and user groups – is looking for new members!
The main role of the Affiliations Committee is to guide groups of volunteers that are interested in forming Wikimedia affiliates. We review applications from new groups, answer questions and provide advice about the different Wikimedia affiliation models and processes, review affiliate bylaws for compliance with requirements and best practices, and advise the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees on issues connected to chapters, thematic organizations and Wikimedia user groups.
The committee can include up to fifteen members, roughly half of whom are selected every twelve months for staggered two-year terms. Those joining the committee during the current process will serve a two-year term ending in December 2020.
- Key skills
Being a part of the Affiliations Committee requires communication with volunteers all over the world, negotiating skills, cultural sensitivity, and the ability to understand legal texts. We look for a healthy mix of different skill sets in our members, including the following key skills and experience:
- Willingness to process applications through a set, perhaps bureaucratic process.
- Readiness to participate in political discussions on the role and future of affiliates, models of affiliation, and similar topics.
- Availability of up to 5 hours per week, and the time to participate in a monthly two-hour voice/video meeting.
- International orientation.
- Fluency in English.
- Ability to work and communicate with other languages and cultures.
- Strong understanding of the structure and work of affiliates and the Wikimedia Foundation.
- Knowledge of different legal systems and experience in community building and organizing are a plus.
- Skills in other languages are a major plus.
- Experience with or in an active affiliate is a major plus.
- Strong track record of effective collaboration (such as evidenced skills at facilitation, mediation, negotiation, and so forth) are a major plus.
- Willingness to use one's real name in committee activities (including contacts with current and potential affiliates) when appropriate.
We are looking for people who are excited by the challenge of empowering volunteers to get organized and form communities that further our mission around the world. In exchange, committee members selected will gain the experience of supporting their world-wide colleagues to develop their communities as well as personal development in guiding organizational development, facilitating affiliate partnerships, and professional communications.
- Selection process
As a reflection of our commitment to openness, transparency, and bilateral engagement with the Wikimedia community, the 2018 member selection process will include a public review and comment period. All applications received by the committee will be posted on Meta at Affiliations Committee/Candidates/December 2018, and the community will be invited to provide comments and feedback about each candidate.
At the end of the public comment period, the applications will be voted on by the members of the committee who are not seeking re-election, taking into account comments put forward by the committee's members, advisors, Wikimedia Foundation staff and board liaisons, and the community. A final decision will be made by mid-January 2019, with new members expected to join later that month.
- How to apply
If you are interested in joining the committee, please post your application on the nomination page and send an email announcing your application to email@example.com by 31 December 2018. Your application must include the following information:
- Your full name and Wikimedia username
- A statement describing your relevant experience, skills, and motivation for joining the committee.
- Answers to the following three questions:
- How do you think affiliates work best together to partner on effective projects and initiatives?
- What do you see as the role of affiliates in the Wikimedia movement in the next three years?
- What do you feel you will bring to the committee that makes you a uniquely qualified candidate?
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me and/or the committee as a whole. We are happy to chat or have a phone call with anyone about our work if this helps them decide to apply. Please distribute this call among your networks, and do apply if you are interested!
Chair, Affiliations Committee
New Affiliations Committee appointments[edytuj]
AffCom is excited to share with you the news that the Wikimedia Foundation Board has unanimously approved the changes to the Bylaws during the last Board meeting on January 30, 2019.
This change allows the participation of User Groups in the Affiliate-selected Board seats (ASBS) 2019 process.
To read the Board's announcement, please click here
Help us make Wikipedia talk pages more accessible to more participants[edytuj]
Our team at the Wikimedia Foundation is working on a project to improve the ease-of-use and productivity of wiki talk pages. As an affiliate, I can imagine you’ve run into challenges explaining talk pages to first-time participants, or it is an consultation that would interest your members.
We want all contributors to be able to talk to each other on the wikis – to ask questions, to resolve differences, to organize projects and to make decisions. Communication is essential for the depth and quality of our content, and the health of our communities.
We're currently leading a global consultation on how to improve talk pages, and we're looking for groups that can discuss and report on their experiences using (or helping other people to use) wiki talk pages. We'd like to invite you to participate, with the user groups that you belong to. You can learn more about the consultation at Mediawiki.org and if you're interested in hosting a group discussion (on-wiki or off-wiki), you can sign up at the participant sign-up group.
If you’d like to participate or if you have any questions, please contact us and let us know. The more people participate from many horizons, the better the outcome will be.
Thank you! Trizek (WMF) 16:29, 8 mar 2019 (CET)
Call for complementary facilitators and more to get the ASBS 2019 process started![edytuj]
Hi everyone, hope all is fine with you!
The next weeks will be intense, as affiliates figure out their participation in the process that will soon select 2 people for the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees. Since new Bylaws established that the user groups are for the first time going to be involved in such process, a lot more support than before is certainly going to be necessary, among other things, for big and healthy conversations on the topic. Hence, please encourage members of your group to become a complementary facilitator, or sign up yourself! You can add yourself to the list on Meta or reply to me to flag availability. One person from the facilitators group should soon be selected to liaise with the Foundation Board’s Chair, María Sefidari, on behalf of all affiliates, and it may be wise to also find a deputy for them.
Finally, if you can think of any huge obstacles that would prevent your group from participating to the process (for instance, a language barrier, or lack of good decision-making mechanisms, etc.), please reach out to me directly: it is really important that we hear about them as early as possible. Thank you! Elitre (WMF) 16:23, 12 mar 2019 (CET)
Update on the Affiliate-selected Board seats 2019 process[edytuj]
The Election Facilitators met on Friday, April 5. We finalized the resolution, which is now frozen. The Board of Trustees of the Wikimedia Foundation will be asked to approve the resolution.
We have made two small changes to be more inclusive. We extended the date for compliance with AffCom reporting and being in good standing to May 7 to allow time for as many Affiliates as possible to be current with these requirements. The Election Facilitators adjusted the language in case a quorum is not met during the election.
On the talk page of the resolution one issue was raised. The issue looks like to be about a possible candidate. Affiliates will have ample time to discuss the merits of candidates during nomination time, screening time, and they can cast their votes on candidates. The Election Facilitators didn't see the necessity for this change, and left the resolution on this point unchanged.
The Election Facilitators will be Abhinav Srivastava, Lane Rasberry, Jeffrey Keefer, Ad Huikeshoven, Neal McBurnett and Alessandro Marchetti. We will welcome more volunteers to assist us in this process, to reach out to the diversity in language and gender in our communities, and do so in an advisory role.
The nomination period opens on April 15. We are going to prepare nomination pages on Meta. You can expect a call for nominations. There is a draft call, including a candidates' profile section with non-binding guidelines about experience and characteristics for nominees. You are welcome to add your insights, or discuss on the talk page.
Erica Litrenta (WMF staff) supports us in this process. She will reach out to all affiliates through mail and other channels to make sure we are up to date with (user)name and contact details of your primary contact.
On behalf of the Election Facilitators, Ad Huikeshoven 12:52, 6 kwi 2019 (CEST)
Update about the Affiliate-selected Board seats process 2019[edytuj]
- The Resolution has been approved by the Board of Trustees;
- Nominations phase is now open, from April 15 00:00 UTC to April 30 23:59 UTC. See the Call for Candidates and Nominations pages;
- Community members may ask questions of the candidates;
- Your main representative has just received an email to confirm that they are indeed the primary contact and will perform official actions on behalf of your group (such as endorsing candidates and then voting). Some groups also need to verify their eligibility status in due time, as explained in the email;
- New content is available to spread awareness around the process - the infographic on this page has clickable links and can be translated, and a primer is available, that we hope will be particularly helpful to those new to such a process;
- Finally, you are welcome to help with translations! Pick one page from the ASBS category and, in the next couple of weeks, please consider translating profiles of the candidates in particular.
Thanks for your attention! The Facilitators for ASBS 2019, 09:33, 15 kwi 2019 (CEST)
Witaj. My apologies for the mistake and for the noise :) here's the list:
Affiliate-selected Board seats 2019 process: your representative[edytuj]
Witaj. The name of the only person who will vote on behalf of this group to select the next two Board members is now at m:Affiliate-selected Board seats/2019/Eligible entities. Please contact me directly as soon as possible if you need any kind of corrections there. There's only a few hours left to endorse candidates, and only the official voter can do that. I would also like to take this opportunity to remind you that you can make a difference with the necessary translations.
Appreciate your attention and your support so far! Dziękujemy! Elitre (WMF) and Facilitators of ASBS 2019, 14:15, 29 kwi 2019 (CEST)
W Biuletynie jest informacja, że 12 czerwca poinformował o odejściu z Komisji Rewizyjnej. Proponuję, by ktoś z Zarządu podziękował mu za pracę w tejże przez trzy lata zamieszczając odpowiedni wpis na SG i zaktualizował stronę Władze, Komisja Rewizyjna Komisja Rewizyjna/archiwum. Gdarin (dyskusja) 20:12, 16 cze 2019 (CEST)
Introducing Wikimedia Space: A platform for movement news and organizations[edytuj]
Hi Strona główna,
I’m writing to let you know that the Community Engagement department at the Wikimedia Foundation is launching a new platform, Wikimedia Space. Here, you will find stories for and by contributors to the Wikimedia movement, and a space for discussions of different topics.
We know that finding information about Wikimedia activities and processes is very complicated, which makes the learning curve to enter our movement and be successful afterwards, really steep. By centralizing community stories and conversations in one shared space, we believe we are facilitating access and discoverability of topics across the movement, improving, in turn, connections among Wikimedians.
As an affiliated organization to the Wikimedia Foundation, we hope that you can share this platform with your local community, and we count on you to encourage them to add their voices. If you’d like to contribute stories, and overall, participate in the discussion section, please read our blogging guidelines and our code of conduct and join the conversation. Find more information about the project on its page on Meta.
Looking forward to seeing you at Wikimedia Space,
María Cruz, Communications and Outreach Manager, Wikimedia Foundation.
MediaWiki message delivery (dyskusja) 19:53, 25 cze 2019 (CEST)