Scholarship application rules
Adopted by the Resolution No. UZ 11/2015, passed on February 17 2015 by the Board of Wikimedia Polska Association.
Board of Wikimedia Polska Association nominated the following Members to serve in the Scholarships Commission:
- Elfhelm – Chair,
- Powerek38 – Secretary,
Who can apply for the scholarship?[edytuj]
1 An application may be submitted by anyone who meets all three of the following criteria:
- a) is an active editor of at least one Wikimedia project;
- b) is resident of one of the following states: Poland, Albania, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia-Hercegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Montenegro, Czech Republic, Estonia, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Kosovo, Lithuania, Latvia, Macedonia, Moldova, Russia, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Hungary.
- c) is over 18 years old (or over 16 years old and has obtained a written consent to take part in the conference from parent or legal guardian).
2. Wikimedia Polska Association will fund up to 8 scholarships for Polish Wikimedians and up to 2 scholarships for Wikimedians from other countries listed above, taking into account the regulations of 1 b) above.
3. Wikimedia Polska Association will not grant any financial support for any purposes related to Wikimania 2015 other than the scholarships listed above. In particular, no partial scholarships will be granted to supplement funds obtained from other sources. Wikimedia Polska Association holds the right to withdraw scholarship from a recipient if he/she is granted full scholarship from another source.
Scope of scholarship and rules of refund[edytuj]
4. The scholarship will cover only the following expenses: air travel, accomodation, conference fee, insurance. Wikimedia Polska Association will not reimburse any other expenses, in particular meals and (if needed) medical care.
5. In case of any unexpected circumstances which would make it impossible for the scholarship recipient to take part in the conference, or in case of the conference being cancelled, rescheduled or changes being introduced to the programme, the scholarship cannot be changed to any other benefits.
6. Wikimedia Polska Association holds the right to purchase services provided in the scholarship as a group package for all recipients. If that is the case, recipients will be required to report in designated time and place within the territory of Poland and then proceed as instructed by the Group Leader, appointed by the Board of Wikimedia Polska Association.
7. In case Wikimedia Polska Association does not buy the group package mentioned above, the recipients will cover the expenses on their own and then they will present the necessary documents to the Wikimedia Polska Treasurer in order to get a refund. The Board may set a deadline for purchase of plane tickets by recipients.
8. In case of any event that would make it impossible for the recipient to participate in the conference, she/he is obliged to notify Wikimedia Polska Board immediately. The Board may, for technical reasons, withdraw the scholarship from a recipient with whom there will be no contact for a prolonged period of time and hence there won’t be any way to arrange all the details of his/her trip. In both abovementioned situations the Board will offer scholarship to the first (or following) person from the waiting list. If there are no more people in the waiting list, the Board will appoint a new recipient at their own discretion.
How to apply?[edytuj]
9. Application should be sent as an e-mail (attachments are allowed) to email@example.com before 10 March 2015, 23:59:59 (Warsaw time). The application needs to be written in Polish or in English - no other languages will be accepted.
10. The application must include the following elements:
- a) short description of the applicant's activity within the Wikimedia movement: global account name or names of local accounts in individual projects; Wikimedia acitivities outside the projects (real-life initiatives, activity in Wikimedia Foundation’s local chapters etc.), earlier participation in Wikimedia conferences, in particular in Wikimania.
- b) information on one’s own activity at Wikimania 2015: planned submission of a presentation or other form of activity agreed upon with the organizers of Wikimania 2015 or of one of its accompanying events;
- c) declaration of command of English at an adequate level to actively take part in the conference
- d) information about the nearest airport from one’s place of residence which serves international flights;
- e) declaration of legal age and, only in case of people below 18 years of age, scan of a written consent to take part in the conference from a parent or a legal guardian (we remind you that the minimum age of a Wikimania participant is 16)
- f) declaration of citizenships held by the applicant;
- g) statement of consent to provide personal details (given name, surname, address, bank account number, passport number) in case the scholarship is granted. Please do not include these details in the scholarship application itself, apart from your full name.
11. The Secretary of the Commission will confirm that he has received each application by a return message sent within two days. The e-mail address from which the application has been sent shall be considered the contact e-mail of the applicant.
12. All personal details included in the applications shall be considered confidential and will be stored in a way which ensures that no unauthorised people (other than the members of the Commission) may access it. Names of successful candidates with the scholarship amounts granted may be published.
13. In case of reasonable doubt regarding the authenticity of the details provided, the Commission may request the applicant to present some documents to confirm it. This may include sending a scan of a passport, personal ID card or other identity document.
Announcement of results[edytuj]
15. The Commission will start the evaluation of applications immediately after the submissions are closed. Meetings of the Commission will not be public and will be held via means of communication chosen by the Commission members.
16. The Commission will finish its proceedings with a report to the Wikimedia Polska Board which will include recommended recipient list, both for Polish and international scholarships. If required, it will also include the recommended waiting lists. The Board will discuss the report and approve the final lists of recipients during its meeting on 17 March 2015.
17. Within the next 24 hours after the above-mentioned Board meeting, the Secretary of the Commission will communicate the results of each applicant by e-mail. Additionally, a list of recipients (only nicknames, without given names) will be published on the wiki of Wikimedia Polska Association.
How to contact the Commission?[edytuj]